Monday, February 27, 2012

become, get, go, turn usage common errors

The words "become", "get", "go" and "turn" are not always used correctly. We've listed some phrases which are wrong and some which are correct. Always use a good dictionary if you're not sure.


correct phrase common error
I got a present from him. I became a present from him.
When do I get my steak? When do I become my steak?
He got a shock when he saw his car. He became a shock when he saw his car.
The tea does him good. The tea becomes him good.
I want to become a teacher. I will a teacher.
He became famous. He would famous
We became friends. We were friends.
It became clear that she wanted to leave. It would clear that she wanted to leave.
It's getting dark. It will dark.
He turned red. He was red.
She went white when she saw the accident. She was white when she saw the accident.
The word "get" is very common in spoken English, "become" is more formal.
German native speaker sometimes use "become" in an incorrect way.

The word "eat"

The words "eat" and "food" are not always used correctly. We've listed some phrases which are wrong and some which are correct. Always use a good dictionary if you're not sure.

correct phrase common error
My mother is cooking the meal. My mother is cooking the eat.
The food tastes wonderful. The eat tastes wonderful.
I like Mexican meals. I like Mexican eat.

Here are some correct phrases:

correct phrase
I don't eat fish.
I go to eat at my grandmother's.
Come and eat!            
  
Word order - Common errors
1) Sentences
Word order in sentences (subject - verb - object)
Word order in sentences (subject - verb - object - place - time)
Position of adverbs

correct word order incorrect word order
I was shopping in Leipzig. I was in Leipzig shopping.
He played football yesterday.
Yesterday he played football.
He played yesterday football .
Dan rode his bike carefully. Dan rode carefully his bike.
He often reads books. He reads often books.
He is always late. He always is late.


Be careful! detailed explanation

main verb before place Word order: subject-verb-object-place-time

place before expression of time Word order: subject-verb-object-place-time

object before adverb of manner Position of adverbs

adverb of frequency before main verb
Position of adverbs of frequency

adverb of frequency after form of to be Position of adverbs of frequency


2) Questions
Questions with do
Questions with did

correct word order incorrect word order
Do you play football or handball? Play you football or handball?
When did you see Peggy yesterday? When did you yesterday see Peggy?


Be careful! detailed explanation

Start the question with the auxiliary do. Questions in the Simple Present

Put the expression of time (yesterday) at the end of the question. Questions in the Simple Past

No comments: